The township was named in honor of General Alexander Macomb, who was a highly decorated veteran of the War of 1812; his successful mercantile family owned most of Macomb County at one time.
Macomb Township was also a large part of the lumber and logging industry of Southeast Michigan in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Logs would be transported south from Wolcott Mill in Ray Township, down the Middle Branch Clinton River to sawmills. This route became known as Romeo Plank, and is the name of the modern-day road that runs down the same route.
GrowthMacomb Township experienced significant growth during the period of 2000-2008, boasting a 48% increase in population.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.3 square miles (94 km2), of which 36.3 square miles (94 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.06%) is water. The area is predominantly a mix of flat fertile land and swampy wetland, but beginning with the housing boom in the late 1990s, the area has been largely suburbanizing.
Source MLS: MiRealSource. Provided through IDX via MiRealSource. Courtesy of MiRealSource Shareholder. Copyright MiRealSource. The information published and disseminated by MiRealSource is communicated verbatim, without change by MiRealSource, as filed with MiRealSource by its members. The accuracy of all information,regardless of source, is not guaranteed or warranted. All information should be independently verified. Copyright 2018 MiRealSource. All rights reserved. The information provided hereby constitutes proprietary information of MiRealSource, Inc. and its shareholders, affiliates and licensees and may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, recording, scanning or any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from MiRealSource, Inc.
Updated: 22nd February, 2019 8:06 PM.